The TRANSTERM 6B 'BASIC' TERMINAL is a computer programmable in
an abbreviated version of the BASIC language (TTBASIC). Using it's flexible programming
resources, the terminal can be adapted to a wide variety of stand-alone applications, such
as data collection, activity tracking, event timing, and equipment control (optional
equipment may be required). The standard unit comes with a 2-line display, 53-key QWERTY
keypad, serial port, time-of-day clock and 32K bytes of battery backed up program/data
The TransTerm 6 can operate in 3 modes:
1. DIRECT mode - Executes a TTBASIC statement immediately.
2. DIRECTRUN mode - Executes a TTBASIC program downloaded to the TransTerm.
3. TERMINAL mode - Emulates a dumb terminal.
The interpreter recognizes a full set of functions and statements that
provide memory initialization, program control, and input/output of data. Each program
statement has a preceding integer line number. The statements are stored is ascending
order in the program memory.
- Twisted nematic liquid crystal technology with 2 lines of 40 character
- 96 ASCII characters (upper, lowercase, numerics and specials) with a
blinking box cursor symbol.
- 5x7 dot matrix 0.179" high x 0.124" wide (4.55mm x 3.15mm).
- TTBASIC PRINT and LOCATE commands are used to print characters on the
display and for cursor positioning.
- 53key QWERTY hermetically sealed membrane key switches with Keyclick
for audible feedback.
- Keyswitch travel: 0.006" 0.008", Typical with actuating
force: 48 ounces.
- Rated life: 10,000,000 cycles per switch element.
Most of the keys generate a single ASCII character defined by the keypad
legend. The SHIFT key is used to generate any special characters defined in the upper
center on the legend. SHIFT can also be used to create lower case letters (optional). Any
of these keys can be used by a RUNning program to perform special tasks. Other keys
perform the following functions:
STOP - Stops a RUNning program (RUN mode) and returns control to the
keyboard (DIRECT mode).
RUN - Executes a program in memory (RUN mode), if there is a program
SPACE - Generates the ASCII space code (CHR(32)).
DELETE - Deletes the last character entered.
ENTER - Generates the ASCII carriage return (CHR(13)) and terminates a
statement line or string input.
CONTROL - Generates an ASCII control code if pressed at the same time as
the desired alpha key.
ESCAPE - Generate the ASCII ESCape code (CHR(27)).
- 32K bytes (128K optional) used for both programs and data storage.
- The BIOS occupies the first 3K bytes of memory.
- User's BASIC program is stored next. The maximum program size is 64K
(multiple programs can be CHAINED to on the RAM disk).
- Data arrays are stored next, followed by the RAM disk which can hold
program files as well as data files, etc.
- The maximum number of files is 254, the maximum file length is 64K, and
the maximum number of records per file is 64K.
- The entire memory is maintained by a lithium battery when the unit is
turned off (3 to 5 year battery life).
THE SERIAL PORT
- Standard: EIA RS232C compatible, Optional: EIA RS-422, with Serial
asynchronous full duplex ASCII coding.
- Data format: 1 start bit, 7 or 8 data bits, Optional parity (even, odd,
mark, space or none), 1 stop bit.
- Baud rates: 110, 150, 300, 1200, 2400, 4800, 9600, 19.2K
The serial port is used to upload/download programs and data files and
for data input/output under TTBASIC program control. Data is transferred as serial ASCII
characters. The TransTerm has a 32byte serial input buffer and recognizes the XON/XOFF
The RS-232 connection (DB-25F) connector.
The RS-422 connection (DB25F or RJ-45) Pin Signal Description DB25F* RJ-45 Signal
1 GND Ground 20 1 VDC+ +12 VDC Supply Input (Opt)
2 TD Transmit data Output 7 2 GND Ground
3 RD Receive data Input 23 3 DTD+ Transmit Data (+) Output
4 RTS Request to send Output 22 4 DTD- Transmit Data (-) Output
5 CTS Clear To Send 25 5 DRD+ Receive Data (+) Input
7 GND Ground 24 6 DRD- Receive Data (-) Input
20 VIN Power supply in (12 VDC) 1 7 GND Ground
21 8 VDC+ +12 VDC Supply Input (Opt)
* Pin #16 must be strapped to pin #3 for RS-422 communication via the
- 128K MEMORY option provides more space for programs and data.
- The BARCODE READER interface uses a Hewlett Packard wand interface (5 pin
DIN) to connect wand/pen type readers, handheld laser and CCD scanners, and barcode card
readers. Nine different barcode symbologies are supported including Code 39, UPC, EAN,
Code 128, Codabar, Interleave 2 of 5 etc.
- A MAGNETIC STRIPE CARD READER (MSCR) interface is available to attach a
MT-211 read-only head. The interface converts Track 2 data into ASCII under TTBASIC
program control (Track 1 reader also available).
- The optional AUXILIARY SERIAL PORT adds a bi-directional EIA RS-232C
(DB9F) serial port that can be used for I/O to an external device such a printer, modem,
scale etc, under TTBASIC program control.
- The TOUCH MEMORY READER option reads Touch-key ID tags which provide a
more durable identification alternative to bar coded badges.
- The RELAY OUTPUT option (either 2 or 4) can be added for program control
outputs to open a door, ring a bell, turn on a machine etc.
- The DISPLAY BACKLIGHT option illuminates the display for viewing in the
- The BATTERY POWER option installs Ni-Cad cells to power the unit for
portable operation. The power adapter is used as a battery charger.
This option could also be used to provide backup power during a power
- Various mounting BRACKETS and bases are available for mounting the
- A LOUDER beeper or L.E.D can be installed for operator feedback (vs. the
standard beeper) in noisy environments.
- A 220VAC power adapter is available in place of the standard 110VAC
- CUSTOM OVERLAYS can be provided for high volume re-sellers with special
needs, or the keypad can be customized using the optional
- Windowed overlay along with a custom legend sheet.
A TTBASIC DEVELOPERS KIT is available for
the IBM PC/AT or compatible computers. Programs can be written, debugged, uploaded and
downloaded from the PC. The kit includes a cable and a diskette containing a utility
program, documentation, and sample TTBASIC programs and routines.
- Terminal consumption: 150 ma typical (various options will add to the
- Power comes from a power adapter for a 110120VAC (220240VAC adapter
- The unit can also be powered over the serial connector (12 VDC on pin
- Memory Battery backup: 3volt lithium (5 years life), Recommended:
3volt Panasonic BR2325
- Operating Temperature: 0 to 50 degrees C (32 to 120 F), Humidity: 5 to
- Storage Temperature: 20 to 70 degrees C (4 to 158 F), Humidity: 0 to
SIZE & WEIGHT (options will effect weight)
- Length: 11.65" (29.6 cm), Width: 6.9" (17.5 cm), Height:
1.75" (4.4 cm), Weight: 2.10 lbs. (950 grams).