The TransTerm 5C 'BASIC' Terminal is a computer programmable in
an abbreviated version of the BASIC language (TTBASIC). Using it's flexible programming
resources, the terminal can be adapted to a wide variety of stand-alone applications, such
as data collection, activity tracking, event timing, and equipment control (optional
equipment may be required). The standard unit comes with a 2-line display, 24-key keypad,
serial port, time-of-day clock and 32K bytes of battery backed up program/data memory.
- DIRECT mode - Executes a TTBASIC statement immediately.
- RUN mode - Executes a TTBASIC program downloaded to the TransTerm.
- TERMINAL mode - Emulates a dumb terminal.
The interpreter recognizes a full set of functions and statements that
provide memory initialization, program control, and input/output of data. Each program
statement has a preceding integer line number. The statements are stored is ascending
order in the program memory.
- Twisted nematic liquid crystal technology with 2 lines of 24 character positions each.
- 96 ASCII characters (upper, lowercase, numeric and specials) with a blinking box cursor symbol.
- 5x7 dot matrix 0.179" high x 0.124" wide (4.55mm x 3.15mm).
- TTBASIC PRINT and LOCATE commands are used to print characters on the display and for cursor positioning.
- 24key (4x6) hermetically sealed membrane key switches with Keyclick for audible feedback.
- Keyswitch travel: 0.006" 0.008", Typical with actuating force: 48 ounces.
- Rated life: 10,000,000 cycles per switch element.
Most of the keys generate a single ASCII character defined by the legend in the lower center position, these can be used by a RUNning program to perform special tasks. Other keys perform the following functions:
- STOP - Stops a RUNning program (RUN mode) and returns control to the keyboard (DIRECT mode).
RUN - Executes a program in memory (RUN mode), if there is a program loaded.
SPACE - Generates the ASCII space code (CHR(32)).
DELETE - This key entry deletes the last character entered.
ENTER - Generates the ASCII carriage return (CHR(13)) and terminates a statement line or string input.
S1 - LEFT SHIFT - Will generate the character in the upper left corner of the key.
S2 - RIGHT SHIFT - Will generate the character in the upper right corner of the key.
- 32K bytes (128K optional) used for both programs and data storage.
- The BIOS occupies the first 3K bytes of memory.
- User's BASIC program is stored next. The maximum program size is 64K (multiple programs can be CHAINED to on the RAM disk).
- Data arrays are stored next, followed by the RAM disk which can hold program files as well as data files, etc.
- The maximum number of files is 254, the maximum file length is 64K, and the maximum number of records per file is 64K.
- The entire memory is maintained by a lithium battery when the unit is turned off (3 to 5 year battery life).
- Standard: EIA RS232C compatible, Optional: EIA RS-422, with Serial asynchronous full duplex ASCII coding.
- Data format: 1 start bit, 7 or 8 data bits, Optional parity (even, odd, mark, space or none), 1 stop bit.
- Baud rates: 110, 150, 300, 1200, 2400, 4800, 9600, 19.2K
The serial port is used to upload/download programs and data files and for data input/output under TTBASIC program control. Data is transferred as serial ASCII characters. The TransTerm has a 32byte serial input buffer and recognizes the XON/XOFF protocol.
The RS-232 connection (DB-25F) connector. The RS-422 connection (RJ-45)
|Pin Signal Description Pin Signal Description
||Ground VDC+ +12 VDC Supply Input (Opt)
||Transmit data Output 2 GND Ground
||Receive data Input 3 DTD+ Transmit Data (+) Output
||Request to send Output 4 DTD- Transmit Data (-) Output
|| Clear To Send 5 DRD+ Receive Data (+) Input
||Ground 6 DRD- Receive Data (-) Input
|| Power supply in (12 VDC) 7 GND Ground
|| +12 VDC Supply Input (Opt)
- 128K MEMORY option provides more space for programs and data.
- The BARCODE READER interface uses a Hewlett Packard wand interface (5 pin DIN) to connect wand/pen type readers, handheld laser and D scanners, and barcode card readers.
- Nine different barcode symbologies are supported including Code 39, UPC, EAN, Code 128, Codabar, Interleave 2 of 5 etc.
- A special WALL MOUNT enclosure option is available with a barcode card reader below the keypad.
- A MAGNETIC STRIPE CARD READER (MSCR) interface is available to attach a MR-211 read-only head. The interface converts Track 2 data into ASCII under TTBASIC program control (Track 1 reader also available).
- A special EXTENDED enclosure option is available for MSCR reader mounting above the display.
- The optional AUXILIARY SERIAL PORT adds a bi-directional EIA RS-232C (DB9F) serial port that can be used for I/O to an external device such a printer, modem, scale etc, under TTBASIC program control.
- The TOUCH MEMORY READER option reads Touch-key ID tags which provide a more durable identification alternative to bar coded badges.
- The RELAY OUTPUT option (either 2 or 4) can be added for program control outputs to open a door, ring a bell, turn on a machine etc.
- The DISPLAY BACKLIGHT option illuminates the display for viewing in the dark.
- The BATTERY POWER option installs Ni-Cad cells to power the unit for portable operation. The power adapter is used as a battery charger. This option could also be used to provide backup power during a power outage.
- A LOUDER beeper or L.E.D can be installed for operator feedback (vs. the standard beeper) in noisy environments.
- A 220VAC power adapter is available in place of the standard 110VAC adapter.
- CUSTOM OVERLAYS can be provided for high volume re-sellers with special needs, or the keypad can be customized using the optional Windowed overlay along with a custom legend sheet.
- Tilt Bracket (image)
The tilt bracket mounts to the back of the TT5 to provide an elevated angle for operation. Can be mounted to a wall as well as a desktop surface.
- NEMA Rated Enclosure (image)
The NEMA enclosure provides a reinforced steel casement for exceptionally rough environments.
A Developer's Kit is available for a DOS based PC or PC compatible computers. Programs can be written, debugged, uploaded and downloaded from the PC. The kit includes a cable and a diskette containing a utility program, documentation, and sample TTBASIC programs and routines.
- Terminal consumption: 150 ma typical (various options will add to the power consumption).
- Power comes from a power adapter for a 110120VAC (220240VAC adapter optional).
- The unit can also be powered over the serial connector (12 VDC on pin #20).
- Memory Battery backup: 3volt lithium (5 years life), Recommended: 3volt Panasonic BR2325
- Operating Temperature: 0 to 50 degrees C (32 to 120 F), Humidity: 5 to 95% noncondensing
- Storage Temperature: 20 to 70 degrees C (4 to 158 F), Humidity: 0 to 100%
SIZE & WEIGHT (options will effect weight)
- Standard enclosure: Length: 5.63" (14.3 cm), Width: 6.9" (17.5cm), Height: 1.75" (4.4 cm), Weight: 1.75 lbs. (792 grams)
- Wall Mount enclosure: Length: 9.25" (23.5 cm), Width: 8.5" (21.6cm), Height: 2.00" (5.1 cm), Weight: 2.25 lbs. (1018 grams)
- Extended enclosure: Length: 7.88" (20.0 cm), Width: 6.9" (17.5cm), Height: 1.75" (4.4 cm), Weight: 2.00 lbs. (897 grams)