TransTerm 4C Data Terminal
The TRANSTERM 4C is a character oriented self-contained keyboard/display terminal
designed to transmit and receive information interactively to/from a central computer or
other similar communications capable device. The TransTerm can be used as a simple
operator interface to another device, or as a part of a multi-terminal network for work in
process tracking, time and attendance, or inventory and job cost control. This little
terminal is not "intimidating" and is built to withstand harsh environments and
handling. The keypad is unaffected by most chemicals and solvents and the large keys are
easy to press even with gloved fingers. The high capacity display is ideal for computer
generated prompts and instructions as well as operator entered data.
The Transterm 4C operates in one of 3 OPERATING MODES
1. Teletype (TTY) mode - Displayable characters
transmitted to the serial port are displayed. Keyed in, or scanned (displayable)
characters are immediately transmitted out the serial port (and optionally displayed).
2. BLOCK SEND mode - Displayable characters transmitted to the serial port are displayed.
Keyed in, or scanned (displayable) characters are displayed and not transmitted until a
ENTER "CR" is input. Scanned data can be set to automatically "ENTER".
3. TNET Multi-drop mode - Used with the ComputerWise TNET data collection system where up
to 250 TransTerms communicate real-time with a single host computer. The host communicates
with the TIM1B Network Controller using RS-232. The Terminals communicate with the TIM1B
using RS-422 (individually addressed). The TNET system optimizes communication speed,
prevents message collisions, and simplifies the communication with the host.
In all 3 modes, Control Commands sent to the
serial port, or entered by the operator, perform local terminal functions.
- Super Twist nematic Liquid Crystal technology
- Eight Selectable Display Modes include row x col.= (8 x 40, 4 x 20, 2 x 13, 2 x 10, 1 x 8, 1 x 6, 1 x 5).
- Character sizes from 0.146" to 1.168" can be displayed simultaneously.
- 96 ASCII characters (upper, lowercase, numerics, specials and a few select European characters) with a blinking box cursor symbol.
- Control Commands are used to change display parameters and for cursor positioning.
- 24key (4x6) hermetically sealed membrane key
switches with 0.750 inch center-to-center spacing and Keyclick for audible feedback.
- A WINDOWED polycarbonate overlay allows a printed
key legend to be inserted between the keyboard and overlay to label the keys.
- Keyswitch travel: 0.006" 0.008",
Typical with actuating force: 48 ounces (Rated life: 10,000,000 cycles per switch
The alpha-numeric keypad supports numerics (0-9)
and 8 function keys (F1-F8). Shift keys (S1 & S2) are used for entering Capital alpha
(A-Z), a few special symbols, and ESCape. A special HEX key can be used for entering any
ASCII character. Other keys include:
CLEAR - Clears the display buffer (Generates a
CAN code CHR(24))
DELETE - This key entry deletes the last
character entered (Generates a Delete code CHR(127)).
ENTER - Terminates a statement line or string
input (Generates a Carriage Return CHR(13))
SPACE - Moves the cursor one space to the right (Generates a space code CHR(32)).
S1 - LEFT SHIFT - Generate the character in the
upper left corner of the key.
S2 - RIGHT SHIFT - Generate the character in the
upper right corner of the key.
Function keys F1-F8 can be programmed to hold from 1 to 14 characters each. The codes generated by the
function keys can be regular displayable ASCII characters or Control Commands.
The Serial Port is used for communication with the host computer either directly or through a modem or TNET Network Controller. Data is transferred as serial ASCII characters. The TransTerm has a 100 byte serial input buffer and recognizes the XON/XOFF protocol.
- Standard: EIA RS232C compatible, Optional: EIA
RS-422, with Serial asynchronous full duplex ASCII coding.
- Data format: 1 start bit, 7 or 8 data bits,
Optional parity (even, odd, mark, space or none), 1 stop bit.
- Baud rates: 110, 150, 300, 1200, 2400, 4800, 9600,
RS-232 connection (DB-25F) connector
RS-422 connection (RJ-45)
||+12 VDC Supply Input
||Transmit data Output
||Receive data input
||Transmit Data (+) Output
||Request to send Output
||Transmit Data (-) Output
||Clear to send
||Receive Data (+) Input
||Power supply in (12 VDC)
||+12 VDC Supply Input
- The BARCODE READER interface uses a Hewlett
Packard wand interface (5-pin DIN) to connect wand/pen type readers, handheld laser and
CCD scanners, and barcode card readers. Nine different barcode symbologies are supported
including Code 39, UPC, EAN, Code 128, Codabar, Interleave 2 of 5 etc.
- A special WALL MOUNT enclosure option is available
with a barcode card reader below the keypad.
- A MAGNETIC STRIPE CARD READER (MSCR) interface is
available to attach a MT-211 read-only head. The interface converts Track 2 data into
ASCII data and processed by the 4C like keyed data (Track 1 reader also available).
- The optional AUXILIARY SERIAL PORT adds a
bi-directional EIA RS-232C (DB9F) serial port that can be used for I/O to an external
device such a printer, modem, scale etc.
- The TOUCH MEMORY READER option reads Touch-key ID
tags which provide a more durable identification alternative to bar coded badges.
- The RELAY OUTPUT option adds either 2 or 4 relays
as outputs to open a door, ring a bell, turn on a machine etc.
- The COUNTER INPUT option adds 4 dry-switch
counters to accumulate switch closures or sense the switch state (open or closed).
- The DISPLAY BACKLIGHT option illuminates the
display for viewing in the dark.
- The BATTERY POWER option installs Ni-Cad cells to
power the unit for portable operation. The power adapter is used as a battery charger.
This option could also be used to provide backup power during a power outage.
- Various mounting BRACKETS, BASES and ENCLOSURES
are available for mounting the TransTerm.
- A LOUDER beeper or L.E.D can be installed for
operator feedback (vs. the standard beeper) in noisy environments.
- A 220VAC power adapter is available in place of
the standard 110VAC adapter.
- CUSTOM OVERLAYS can be provided for high volume
re-sellers with special needs (OEM applications).
FoxPro Developers Software
is available for networking up to 250 TransTerms to an IBM PC/AT or compatible computer.
An Applications Generator and/or Sample programs and libraries of routines are designed
for collecting data Real-time into DBF files. Contact ComputerWise for more information on
- Terminal consumption: 175 ma typical (various options will add to the power consumption).
- Power comes from a power adapter for a 110-120VAC (220-240VAC adapter optional).
- The unit can also be powered over the serial
connector (12 VDC on pin #20).
- Operating: 0ºC to 60ºC (32ºF to 140ºF); Humidity: 5 to 95% noncondensing
- Storage Temperature: -30ºC to 70ºC (-20ºF to 158ºF); Humidity: 0 to 100%
Size & Weight (options will affect weight)
- Standard enclosure: Height: 5.63" (14.3 cm),
Width: 6.9" (17.5 cm), Depth: 1.75" (4.4 cm), Weight: 1.92 lbs. (.87kg)
- Wall Mount enclosure: Height: 9.25" (23.5
cm), Width: 8.5" (21.6 cm), Depth: 2.00" (5.1 cm), Weight: 2.42 lbs. (1.1kg)