TransTerm 4C 'BASIC' Progammable Terminal
THE TRANSTERM 4C 'BASIC' TERMINAL is
programmable in an abbreviated version of the BASIC language (TTBASIC). Using it's flexible programming resources, the terminal can be adapted to a wide variety of stand-alone applications, such as data collection, activity tracking, event timing, and equipment control (optional equipment may be required). The standard unit comes with a display, 24-key keypad, serial port, time-of-day clock and 32K bytes of battery backed up program/data memory.
THE BASIC INTERPRETER operates in 3 modes:
1. DIRECT mode - Executes a TTBASIC statement
2. RUN mode - Executes a TTBASIC program downloaded to the TransTerm.
3. TERMINAL mode - Emulates a dumb terminal.
The interpreter recognizes a full set of
functions and statements that provide memory initialization, program control, and
input/output of data. Each program statement has a preceding integer line number. The
statements are stored is ascending order in the program memory. All memory beyond the
program can be used for a RAM disk data storage facility.
- Super Twist nematic Liquid Crystal Display with 8
Display Modes; rows x column = (8x40, 4x20, 2x13, 2x10, 1x8, 1x6, 1x5).
- Character sizes from 0.146" to 1.168"
can be displayed simultaneously.
- 96 ASCII characters (upper, lowercase, numerics,
specials and a few select European characters) with a blinking box cursor symbol.
- TTBASIC PRINT and LOCATE commands are used to
print characters on the display and for cursor positioning.
THE MEMBRANE KEYBOARD
- 24key (4x6) hermetically sealed membrane key
switches with Keyclick for audible feedback.
- Keyswitch travel: 0.006" 0.008",
Typical with actuating force: 48 ounces (Rated life: 10,000,000 cycles per switch
- Re-legendable WINDOWED polycarbonate overlay.
Most of the keys generate a single ASCII
character defined by the legend in the lower center position, these can be used by a
RUNning program to perform special tasks. Other keys perform the following functions:
STOP - Stops a RUNning program (RUN mode) and
returns control to the keyboard (DIRECT mode).
RUN - Executes a program in memory (RUN mode), if
there is a program loaded.
SPACE - Generates the ASCII space code (CHR(32)).
DELETE - This key entry deletes the last
ENTER - Generates the ASCII carriage return
(CHR(13)) and terminates a statement line or string input.
S1 - LEFT SHIFT - Will generate the character in
the upper left corner of the key.
S2 - RIGHT SHIFT - Will generate the character in
the upper right corner of the key.
- 32K bytes (128K optional) used for both programs
and data storage.
- The BIOS occupies the first 3K bytes of memory.
- User's BASIC program is stored next. The maximum
program size is 64K (multiple programs can be CHAINED to on the RAM disk).
- Data arrays follow the program, followed by the
RAM disk which can hold program files as well as data files, etc.
- The maximum number of files is 254, the maximum
file length is 64K, and the maximum number of records per file is 64K.
- The entire memory is maintained by a lithium
battery when the unit is turned off (3 to 5 year battery life).
THE SERIAL PORT
- Standard: EIA RS232C compatible, Optional: EIA
RS-422, with Serial asynchronous full duplex ASCII coding.
- Data format: 1 start bit, 7 or 8 data bits,
Optional parity (even, odd, mark, space or none), 1 stop bit.
- Baud rates: 110, 150, 300, 1200, 2400, 4800, 9600,
The serial port is used to upload/download
programs and data files and for data input/output under TTBASIC program control. Data is
transferred as serial ASCII characters. The TransTerm has a 32byte serial input buffer
and recognizes the XON/XOFF protocol.
The RS-232 connection (DB-25F) connector. The
RS-422 connection (RJ-45) Pin Signal Description Pin Signal Description
1 GND Ground 1 VDC+ +12 VDC Supply Input (Opt)
2 TD Transmit data Output 2 GND Ground
3 RD Receive data Input 3 DTD+ Transmit Data (+) Output
4 RTS Request to send Output 4 DTD- Transmit Data (-) Output
5 CTS Clear To Send 5 DRD+ Receive Data (+) Input
7 GND Ground 6 DRD- Receive Data (-) Input
20 VIN Power supply in (12 VDC) 7 GND Ground
8 VDC+ +12 VDC Supply Input (Opt)
- 128K MEMORY option provides more space for
programs and data.
- The BARCODE READER interface uses a Hewlett
Packard wand interface (5 pin DIN) to connect wand/pen type readers, handheld laser and
CCD scanners, and barcode card readers. Nine different barcode symbologies are supported
including Code 39, UPC, EAN, Code 128, Codabar, Interleave 2 of 5 etc.
- A special WALL MOUNT enclosure option is available
with a barcode card reader below the keypad.
- A MAGNETIC STRIPE CARD READER (MSCR) interface is
available to attach a MT-211 read-only head. The interface converts Track 2 data into
ASCII under TTBASIC program control (Track 1 reader also available).
- The optional AUXILIARY SERIAL PORT adds a
bi-directional EIA RS-232C (DB9F) serial port that can be used for I/O to an external
device such a printer, modem, scale etc, under TTBASIC program control.
- The TOUCH MEMORY READER option reads Touch-key ID
tags which provide a more durable identification alternative to bar coded badges.
- The RELAY OUTPUT option adds either 2 or 4 relays
as program controlled outputs to open a door, ring a bell, turn on a machine etc.
- The DISPLAY BACKLIGHT option illuminates the
display for viewing in the dark.
- The BATTERY POWER option installs Ni-Cad cells to
power the unit for portable operation. The power adapter is used as a battery charger.
This option could also be used to provide backup power during a power outage.
- Various mounting BRACKETS, BASES and ENCLOSURES
are available for mounting the TransTerm.
- A LOUDER beeper or L.E.D can be installed for
operator feedback (vs. the standard beeper) in noisy environments.
- A 220VAC power adapter is available in place of
the standard 110VAC adapter.
- CUSTOM OVERLAYS can be provided for high volume
re-sellers with special needs (OEM applications).
A TTBASIC DEVELOPERS KIT is available for
the IBM PC/AT or compatible computers. Programs can be written, debugged, uploaded and
downloaded from the PC. The kit includes a cable and a diskette containing a utility
program, documentation, and sample TTBASIC programs and routines.
- Terminal consumption: 150 ma typical (various
options will add to the power consumption).
- Power comes from a power adapter for a 110120VAC
(220240VAC adapter optional).
- The unit can also be powered over the serial
connector (12 VDC on pin #20).
- Memory Battery backup: 3volt lithium (5 years
life), Recommended: 3volt Panasonic BR2325
- Operating Temperature: 0 to 50 degrees C (32 to
120 F), Humidity: 5 to 95% noncondensing
- Storage Temperature: 20 to 70 degrees C (4 to
158 F), Humidity: 0 to 100%
SIZE & WEIGHT (options will effect weight)
- Standard enclosure: Height: 5.63" (14.3 cm),
Width: 6.9" (17.5 cm), Depth: 1.75" (4.4 cm), Weight: 1.92 lbs. (870 grams)
- Wall Mount enclosure: Height: 9.25" (23.5
cm), Width: 8.5" (21.6 cm), Depth: 2.00" (5.1 cm), Weight: 2.42 lbs. (1097 grams)