TransTerm 8B Portable 'BASIC' Computer
The TransTerm 8B 'BASIC' Computer is a
hand-held battery powered portable data collector suitable for a variety of applications
including inventory tracking, route accounting, order entry, and other remote data
collection applications. The "TT8B" is built to stand up to harsh environments
and handling. The keypad is unaffected by most chemicals and solvents and the large keys
are easy to press even with gloved fingers. The 32 character display is suitable for
prompts and instructions as well as the operator entered data, and the optional barcode
scanner delivers fast and accurate data collection. User developed 'BASIC' Programs can be
easily created, edited, debugged, uploaded and downloaded using a menu driven PC utility
program (via a RS-232 port either directly connected or remotely connected through an
The TT8B has a
built-in BASIC language interpreter that recognizes an abbreviated version of the BASIC
language (TTBASIC). TTBASIC supports a set of functions and statements for memory
initialization, program control, and input/output of data. Each program statement has a
preceding integer line number. The statements are stored is ascending order in the program
memory. TTBASIC statements can PROMPT the operator to enter data, recognize alpha numeric
data from the keypad or optional barcode scanner, validate the input and review and/or
edit the data in memory. BASIC routines can PRINT to the serial port or display, INPUT
from the serial port, keypad or barcode reader, manipulate Integers, real numbers and
string variables. Several Math functions are supported, and even the tone and duration of
the beeper can be user controlled. The Interpreter operates in 3 modes:
- DIRECT mode - Executes a TTBASIC statement immediately.
- RUN mode - Executes a TTBASIC program downloaded to the TransTerm.
- TERMINAL mode - Emulates a dumb terminal.
A TTBASIC DEVELOPERS KIT is available for
the IBM PC/AT or compatible computers. Programs can be written, debugged, uploaded and
downloaded from the PC (over COM1 or COM2). The kit includes a cable and a diskette
containing a Utility program, Programmer's Reference Manual, and sample TTBASIC programs
and routines (with documentation).
- Twisted nematic liquid crystal technology with 2
lines x 16 character positions.
- Each character position is a 5x7 dot matrix,
0.179" high x 0.124" wide (4.55mm x 3.15mm).
- 96 ASCII characters (uppercase, lowercase,
numerics and specials characters) with a blinking box cursor symbol.
- 32key (4 col. x 8 row) hermetically sealed
membrane keypad with Keyclick for audible feedback.
- A WINDOWED polycarbonate overlay allows a printed
key legend to be inserted between the keyboard and overlay to label the keys.
- Keyswitch travel: 0.006" 0.008",
Typical with actuating force: 48 ounces (Rated life: 10,000,000 cycles per switch
- The keypad supports 8 special characters, numerics
(0-9) and Alphas (A-Z) (using the A/N key). Other keys perform the following functions:
STOP - Stops a RUNning program (RUN mode) and
returns control to the keyboard (DIRECT mode).
RUN - Begins Execution of the program loaded into
memory (RUN mode).
SPACE - Generates the ASCII space code (CHR(32)).
DELETE - This key entry deletes the last
ENTER - Generates the ASCII carriage return
(CHR(13)) and terminates a statement line or string input.
A/N - Toggles from Numeric to Alpha key entry.
- 128K bytes (up to 1152k optional) used for both
program and data storage.
- TTBASIC programs can be stored in RAM memory or
optionally stored in EPROM memory.
- The maximum program size is 64K. Multiple programs
can be CHAINED to on the RAM disk.
- The RAM memory can store multiple Data arrays and
Data files for validation and data collection.
- The maximum number of files is 254, the maximum
file length is 64K, and the maximum number of records per file is 64K.
- The RAM memory is maintained by a 3V lithium
battery when the unit is turned off (3 to 5 year battery life).
- EIA RS232C compatible with Serial asynchronous
full duplex ASCII coding
- The TransTerm recognizes both hardware and
software handshaking (XON/XOFF) and has a 32-byte input buffer.
- Data format: 1 start bit, 7 or 8 data bits,
Optional parity (even, odd, mark, space or none) and 1 stop bit.
- The TransTerm supports eight baud rates: 110, 150,
300, 1200, 2400, 4800, 9600, 19.2K
The RS-232 connection uses a DB-9M connector with
the following signals:
||Data Carrier Detect
||RS-232 Communication signal
||RS-232 Communication signal
||Data Terminal Ready
||High whenever the unit is ON
||Signal and Frame ground
||Data Set Ready
||Can be used to power the unit (12
||Request to send
||Clear to send
||Can be used to turn the unit ON
- The BARCODE interface is a Hewlett Packard wand
interface (5 pin DIN) to connect a wand/pen, handheld laser, CCD scanner or barcode card
reader. Nine different symbologies are supported: Code 39, Extended Code 39, UPC, EAN/JAN,
Code 128, Codabar and Interleave 2 of 5.
- The TOUCH MEMORY interface reads Touch-key ID tags
in place of the barcode reader. These small metal micro-cans provide a more durable
alternative to bar coded badges (micro-cans are typically attached to a key chain).
- The DISPLAY BACKLIGHT option illuminates the
display for viewing the TransTerm in the dark.
- CUSTOM OVERLAYS can be provided for high volume
re-sellers with special needs (OEM applications).
- The PROTECTIVE CARRYING CASE has a loop to hang
the unit from a belt and a holster for the barcode wand.
- Two piece injection molded ABS.
- The TT8B is powered by four AA size Ni-Cad
batteries and comes with a battery charger. The battery charger connects to a standard
110VAC outlet, and it's cable plugs into the side of the unit. The TT8B can operate with
the charger plugged in for extended periods of time.
- Power consumption: 30 milliamps @ 4.8 Volts
(typical). Battery life is 10 to 20 hours on a full charge (varies with options, battery
- The TransTerm can be optionally powered over the
serial connector (6 to 12 VDC on pin #6).
Size and Weight
- Operating: 0ºC to 60ºC (32ºF to 140ºF); Humidity: 5 to 95% noncondensing
- Storage Temperature: -30ºC to 70ºC (-20ºF to 158ºF); Humidity: 0 to 100%
(options will effect weight)
- Enclosure: Height: 7.50" (19.05 cm), Width:
4.0" (10.16 cm), Depth: 1.29" (3.27 cm), Weight: 0.86 lbs. (535 grams)