Transterm 7C Portable Data Collection Terminal
THE TRANSTERM 7C is a hand-held portable battery powered data
collector. This general purpose device can be used for physical inventory, route
accounting, order entry, and general purpose data collection. The unit is built to
withstand harsh environments and handling. The keypad is unaffected by most chemicals and
solvents and the large keys are easy to press even with gloved fingers. The 32 character
display is suitable for operator prompting and displaying operator entered data. Also available is the TT7B which functions as a basic ASCII portable data collector . Please contact us for more information.
- The TransTerm 7C "PROMPTS" the operator to
enter data (presents instructions for data entry to the display).
- The operator inputs alphanumeric data via the keypad or using the
optional barcode scanner.
- The data is displayed and optionally validated (a validation file
and/or string can be programmed into the TransTerm 7C).
- The TIME and/or DATE can be optionally appended to each entry or to
each sequence of prompts.
- The data is stored in memory (The "Arrow" keys can be used
to review and/or edit the data in memory).
- The data is later uploaded to a host computer (either directly
connected RS-232 or remotely connected through an external modem).
- Up to 20 user defined PROMPT messages can be downloaded to the TT7C using
menu driven PC software.
- The Validation for each prompt can be user defined and downloaded with
menu driven PC software (Validation is optional).
- The data upload can be initiated from either the host computer or from
- The Function Keys (F1-F8) can be pre-programmed to hold 1 to 12
characters each (displayable ASCII characters or Control Codes).
- The TT7C can be configured with a unique address (to independently upload
from multiple units).
- Using a pocket modem, the TT7C can transfer collected data from remote
- Super twisted nematic Liquid Crystal technology with 2 lines of 16
character positions (5 x 7 dot matrix font 0.189" high x 0.118" wide).
- Supports 96 ASCII characters (uppercase, lowercase, numerics, plus 32
special characters) with a blinking box cursor symbol.
- 32key (4x8) hermetically sealed membrane keypad with 0.750" wide x
0.562" center-to-center spacing and Keyclick for audible feedback.
- A WINDOWED polycarbonate overlay allows a printed key legend to be
inserted between the keyboard and overlay to label the keys.
- Keyswitch travel: 0.006" 0.008", Typical with actuating
force: 48 ounces (Rated life: 10,000,000 cycles per switch element).
- The keypad supports 8 function keys (F1-F8), numerics (0-9) and Alphas
(A-Z) (A/N key is used to toggle from Numeric to Alpha key entry).
- Other keys include; ENTER, CLEAR, SPACE, DELETE, STATUS (memory, battery
& time) and SETUP (configuration & data transmission).
- The standard TransTerm 7C holds 128K bytes of
collected data, Optional memory sizes include; 256K, 384K, 512K, 640K, 768K, 896K, 1024K
and 1152K. The memory is protected by a 3V lithium battery (5 year rated life).
- EIA RS232C compatible with Serial asynchronous full duplex ASCII
- The TransTerm recognizes both hardware and software handshaking
- Data format: 1 start bit, 7 or 8 data bits, Optional parity (even, odd,
mark, space or none) and 1 stop bit.
- The TransTerm supports eight baud rates: 110, 150, 300, 1200, 2400, 4800,
The RS-232 connection is a DB-9M connector with the following
||Data Carrier Detect
|RS-232 Communication signal
|RS-232 Communication signal
||Data Terminal Ready
||High whenever the unit is ON
||Data Set Ready
|Can be used to optionally provide power (12 VDC)
||Request to Send
||Hardware handshaking signal
||Clear to send
|Hardware handshaking signal
|Can be used to turn the unit ON remotely
The TransTerm comes with four AA size Ni-Cad batteries and a battery
charger. Typical battery life is 10 to 20 hours with a full charge (varies with options).
The battery charger connects to a standard 110VAC outlet, and plugs into the side of the
- The BARCODE interface is a Hewlett Packard wand interface (5-pin DIN) to
connect a wand/pen, handheld laser, CCD scanner or barcode card reader. Nine different
symbologies are supported: Code 39, Extended Code 39, UPC, EAN/JAN, Code 128, Codabar and
Interleave 2 of 5.
- The TOUCH MEMORY interface reads Touch-key ID tags in place of the
barcode reader. These small metal micro-cans provide a more durable alternative to bar
coded badges (micro-cans are typically attached to a key chain).
- The DISPLAY BACKLIGHT option illuminates the display for viewing the
TransTerm in the dark.
- CUSTOM OVERLAYS can be provided for high volume re-sellers with special
needs (OEM applications).
- The optional PROTECTIVE CARRYING CASE has a loop to hang the unit from a
belt and a holster for the barcode wand.
Utility Software is available for uploading, downloading and
terminal configuration. The TT7CUP Utility Program interfaces the TransTerm with an IBM
PC/AT or compatible computer using COM1 or COM2. Contact ComputerWise for more information
on interfacing and application implementation.
- Two piece injection molded ABS.
- Terminal consumption: 30 milliamps typical. Various options will add to
the power consumption (i.e. backlight display option, etc).
- The terminal is powered by four AA size Ni-Cad batteries, and can be
optionally powered via the serial connector (12 VDC on pin #6).
Size and Weight
- Operating: 0ºC to 60ºC (32ºF to 140ºF); Humidity: 5 to 95% noncondensing
- Storage Temperature: -30ºC to 70ºC (-20ºF to 158ºF); Humidity: 0 to 100%
(options will effect weight)
- Standard enclosure: Height: 7.50" (19.05 cm), Width: 4.0"
(10.16 cm), Depth: 1.29" (3.27 cm), Weight: 0.86 lbs. (535 grams)