The PDS-1 (Portable Data Scanner) is a battery powered portable bar code reader and data storage device capable
of collecting and storing several thousand bar code scans along with an optional date
and/or time value for later upload to a computer. The PDS-1 is configured with 32,000
characters of storage capacity (128K optional), an RS-232 serial I/O port and a
time-of-day clock. The unit comes with a digital bar code wand, a serial cable, an upload
utility program for PC/AT/PS2 computers, and an AC charging adapter.
Some of the programmable features are:
- Scans and autodiscriminates all major bar code symbologies including
- UPC (A and E), EAN (8 and 13), Code 39, Code 128, Interleaved 2 of 5, and CODABAR.
- Supports any digital wand or bar code slot reader and most handheld laser or CCD scanners with on-board decoding (The SSW-40 wand is normally included with the PDS-1).
- Audible "beep" and an L.E.D. light indicate each valid decode.
- Powered by four (4) AA Size Ni-Cad batteries (user replaceable).
- 32,000 character data storage memory with Lithium backup battery.
- RS-232 port for data uploading and setup programming.
- Selectable baud rates of 110,300,600,1200,2400,4800,9600,19.2K.
- User programmable operating features via the RS-232 port with ESC- ape commands or with a barcoded menu.
- Optional 128,000 character memory
- Serial port baud rate, data bits and parity.
- Enable/disable X-on/X-off protocol.
- Enable/disable each bar code symbology.
- Set min./max. digits for each symbology.
- Enable/disable auto power down.
- Enable/disable auto TIME stamping.
- Enable/disable auto DATE stamping.
- Load preamble text string.
- Load postamble text string.
- Load identity text string.
- Load terminator code.
- Load Delimiter code.
The PDS-1 is powered by ni-cad batteries which will sustain its operation for over 10
hours of continuous scanning. Normally, with the auto-power-down feature enabled, the
PDS-1 will turn itself off after a selected time interval, thus extending the battery life
by 50 to 100 percent. Or, it can even be setup to shut itself off after each successful
POWER L.E.D - On to indicate power is applied, flashes to indicate a low
SCAN L.E.D. - Flashes once to indicate a successful bar code scan. Flashes
intermittently to indicate memory full.
RS-232 Serial Communications Port (DE-9M 9-pin male)
- Pin Signal
- Carrier detect
- Transmitted data
- Received data
- Data Terminal Ready
- Signal Ground
- Data set ready
- Request to send
- Clear to send
- Ring detect
Wand Port (5-pin DIN jack)
- 5Vdc power out
- TTL signal input
- No connection
- No connection
- Light weight injection molded ABS plastic.
- Height: 1.3" (33 mm)
- Width: 3.6" (90 mm)
- Length: 6.1" (150 mm)
- Basic unit: 12.2 ounces (345 grams)
- Charger: 8.2 ounces (230 grams)
- Wand: 3.8 ounces (106 grams)
- Carrying Case: 2.6 ounces (76 grams)
- Operating Environment:
- Temperature: 0 to 60 deg. C. (32 to 120 deg.F.)
- Humidity: 5% to 95% non-condensing
- Storage Environment:
- Temperature: -20 to 70 deg. C. (-4 to 158 deg.F.)
- Humidity: 0% to 99%
- Electrical Power Requirement (input to charging adapter):
- Domestic: 105-125 Vrms
- Overseas: 198-256 Vrms
- Frequency: 47-63 Hertz
- Power Consumption:
- PDS-1: 20.0 milliamps
- Wand: 3.5 milliamps
- Battery Life: 8,000 scans
- EMI/RFI Emissions: Meets FCC Part 15 Class A limits.
- Warranty: Limited one (1) year parts and labor.